Dangriga Warriors defeats San Pedro Tigersharks in week 13 of the NEBL
Thursday, May 15th, 2014
Week 13 of the National Elite Basketball League (NEBL) continued on Saturday May 10th and saw the San Pedro Tigersharks hitting the road to meet the Dangriga Warriors at the Stann Creek Ecumenical High School Auditorium. The southern Warriors defended their home turf and stunned the league’s leading team in what would be a Tigersharks’ upset.
Having defeated the Dangriga Warriors before, the islanders went in confident that a win was guaranteed, given their respectable record of 11 wins and one loss against the home team’s record of seven wins and five losses. But, as the Warriors they are, the home team brought out all their soldiers to defend the battle ground and took the Tigersharks by surprise. At the end of the game, the Warriors were able to take down the Tigersharks ending the game 58 – 46.
Results from other games played are as follows.
Thursday, May 8
59 – Belize City No Limit (8-5) Bs71 – Belmopan Point Bandits (7-6)
Friday, May 9
71 – Corozal Heats (3-10) Vs 55 – Orange Walk Running Rebels (2-11)
Saturday, May 10
79 – Cayo Western Ballaz (11-2) Vs 77 – Toledo Diplomats (2-11)
Sunday, May 11
Belize City No Limit (8-5) Vs Toledo Diplomats (2-11) – Belize City was awarded the win since Toledo forfeited due to lack of players. The score was entered as 20-0. Belize City received three (3) points for the win and Toledo received zero (0) points for the loss.
Looking at the Play Offs:
Only four teams will make it to the play offs. Seed 1 will get to play seed 4, while seed 2 gets to play seed 3 in a three-game series. Only Cayo Western Ballaz or San Pedro Tighersharkscan be 1st and 2nd seed.San Pedro Tigersharks can be number 1 seed with a win against Orange Walk Running Rebels or a Cayo Loss against Belmopan Bandits.Cayo Western Ballaz can be the number 1 seed with a win against Belmopan Bandits and a Tighersharks loss against Orange Walk.
Dangriga, Belmopan City and Belize City are fighting for the remaining two seeds (3rd and 4th). Belmopan and Belize split their season series (1-1) with both teams winning 1, but Belize City owns the tie breaker by having a plus five (+5) scoring margin from the results of the two games.
Belmopan Point Bandits
1. Will be ELIMINATED from playoff contention with a LOSS at Cayo, OR a Dangriga WINS Vs Belize
2. Can be the 3rd seed (ONLY IF) Belize loses by forfeit vs Dangriga, AND Belmopan WIN at Cayo
3. Can be the 4th seed with a WIN Vs Cayo, AND a Dangriga LOSS Vs Belize.
1. Will be ELIMINATED from playoff contention with a LOSS at Belize, AND a Belmopan WIN Vs Cayo.
2. Can be the 3rd seed with a WIN Vs Belize
3. Can be the 4th seed if BOTH they and Belmopan LOSE.
Belize City No Limit
1. Can be ELIMINATED from playoff contention (ONLY IF) a LOSS by Forfeit Vs Dangriga, AND a Belmopan WIN Vs Cayo.
2. Can be the 3rd seed with a WIN Vs Dangriga.
3. Can be the 4th seed with a LOSS Vs Dangriga.
Looking ahead at week 14 of the NEBL regular season, San Pedro Tighersharkswill play the Orange Walk Running Rebels at the Rafael Angel Nuñez Auditorium on Saturday May 17th starting at 9PM. That game will be aired live on Channel 5. San Pedro Tighersharks fans are asked to weara black T-shirt to show support for the home team.