The Fisheries Department hereby informs fisher folks with a valid fishing license that the Sea Cucumber fishery will be open for fishing for the period of March 15 to June 30, 2021 or upon realization of the catch quota.
Fishers are required to adhere to the following regulations:
1. Only holders of valid Commercial Fishing Licenses are allowed to fish for sea cucumbers during the prescribed period.
2. Fishers will only be allowed to harvest sea cucumber in their authorized fishing areas as prescribed in the Commercial Fishing License.
3. Fishers shall deliver/sell their catch to sea cucumber export permit holders only (Fishermen Cooperatives and Fein Catch Limited).
4. Fishers shall harvest and possess sea cucumbers with a minimum total length of 10 inches (live animals) or with a minimum weight of 7 ounces or greater.
5. Fishing vessel owners and/or vessel captains must maintain a Catch log record and must submit this data to the sea cucumber buyer/exporter at the end of each fishing trip.
6. The fishing season shall be declared closed once the catch quota has been realized or by June 30, 2021, whichever comes first.
7. All other relevant Fisheries Regulations are applicable.
For any further information, kindly contact the Fisheries Department at 224-4552 or 223-2187.
Please help support Local Journalism in Belize
For the first time in the history of the island's community newspaper, The San Pedro Sun is appealing to their thousands of readers to help support the paper during the COVID-19 pandemic. Since 1991 we have tirelessly provided vital local and national news. Now, more than ever, our community depends on us for trustworthy reporting, but our hard work comes with a cost. We need your support to keep delivering the news you rely on each and every day. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Please support us by making a contribution.
Follow The San Pedro Sun News on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook. Stay updated via RSS