Mid morning fire destroys three homes in DFC

Saturday, January 7th, 2012

A mid morning fire on Saturday, January 7th in the DFC area of San Pedro led to the destruction of two structures and left six individuals homeless. According to Orrin Smith, Training Officer of the Belize National Fire Service, “At 11:30AM on Monday, January 7th the San Pedro Fire Department was informed by the San Pedro Police of a fire at number 29A DFC area of San Pedro Town. Upon response and upon arrival on the scene a two storey wooden structure was seen engulfed in flames, the fire was later brought under control.”

As to the origin of the fire, investigations by the fire authorities revealed that there were two boys, ages six and eight, playing with a lighter outside one of the structures. Smith said the children were told by neighbors who had seen them playing with the lighter, to stop. The boys then withdrew from the exterior of the house and went to the interior, where it is believe that they continued playing with the fire.

It is reported that some clothes were lit on fire. The elder of the two tried to take the burning clothing outside but realized that the fire was getting bigger. Due to the intensity of the fire, the child was unable to get the fire outside of the building on time, resulting in the fire. Unfortunately, there were no adults at home at the time of the fire.

Two houses were completely destroyed leaving six individuals homeless. One of the structures, a two-storey wooden and concrete structure was occupied by 24 year old Lorena Moralez and her four children while the other belonged to her mother, Rosa Perez. Further to the two structures that were completely destroyed, an adjacent structure received minor heat damage to two windows and minor water damage. According to Smith, while the two destroyed structures were not insured, the structure that received minor damages was. An estimate of the total loss caused by the fire was not available at press time.

Smith takes this opportunity to advise the public that, “Children tend to, at a very early age, learn – by imitating others or by adults advising them – tutoring them – teaching them. A child doesn’t really forget what they learn in that early stage. I encourage parents to teach your child not to play with things such as lighted candles, lighters and/or matches. They should teach their children that when they see other children playing with fire that they should be told to leave these things alone or bring it to the attention of an adult so that the adult may take these things and place them in an area out of the reach of children.”
Efforts are underway by the San Pedro Lions to collect items of clothing and other miscellaneous items that might assist the families that have fallen victims to the fire. Individuals wishing to donate to the families are invited to contact Ms Marina Kay of the SP Lion’s at 627-8868.

Photo Gallery


Please help support Local Journalism in Belize

For the first time in the history of the island's community newspaper, The San Pedro Sun is appealing to their thousands of readers to help support the paper during the COVID-19 pandemic. Since 1991 we have tirelessly provided vital local and national news. Now, more than ever, our community depends on us for trustworthy reporting, but our hard work comes with a cost. We need your support to keep delivering the news you rely on each and every day. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Please support us by making a contribution.

Click to Donate

Follow The San Pedro Sun News on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook. Stay updated via RSS

Leave a Reply

Comments are closed on this post.