Clean up campaign tackles Elliot subdivision

Friday, August 5th, 2016

The San Pedro Town Council continues spearheading its clean-up campaign, having successfully taken care of two subdivisions. The San Pedrito and the Elliot/Airstrip areas have been addressed via the project, which aims to rid the island of excess garbage, while at the same time targeting areas prone to flooding. Flood areas serve as breeding grounds for mosquitoes, which are carriers of vector diseases.
According to the SPTC, since the launch of the initiative in June, the support from the local community has been very positive. Deputy Mayor Gary Greif Councilor who is in charge of garbage collection is impressed with the results so far. “It was incredible to see the amount of garbage removed from these two divisions. With the help of all the volunteers, we have been able to do a good job so far, especially in the San Pedrito area,” said Greif.Elliot Subdivision Cleanup-2
Last week, the campaign continued in the Elliot/Airstrip area which is one of the smallest on the island. The different organizations on the island that support the project, such as the police station, fire station, the Ministry of Health, and the SPTC, had volunteers along with residents sweeping and raking the area. Residents were glad to see the local authorities involved in an activity that aims for a healthier and cleaner community. “We are happy with this initiative and it serves as a motivation for us to continue this practice. Even though we may be too busy at our jobs and lives, it is important to keep our surroundings clean,” said a resident of the Elliot/Airstrip Subdivision.
Greif has classified the clean-ups in the first two subdivisions as very successful. “Thanks to everyone that has been supporting this project, the agencies, volunteers and residents, we can say that we are getting the job done so far,” said Greif. “At the Elliot and Airstrip Subdivision, we were very successful in removing 30 truckloads of garbage.”
The other subdivision to benefit from the campaign will be discussed after Hurricane Storm Earl has passed. The hurricane made landfall on Belize early on Thursday, August 4th. This is the second time the clean-up campaign has been put on a pause. The first was after San Pedro Town was struck by a devastating fire.
The clean-up campaign will continue until November of 2016, and by then it is expected that all of the island would be completely cleaned up.
For more information on the project, the SPTC can be reached at 226-2198 or visit their offices at Barrier Drive during normal working hours.

Follow The San Pedro Sun News on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook. Stay updated via RSS

Leave a Reply

Comments are closed on this post.