Murder trial for Harrison ‘Bin’ Jacobs begins

Saturday, February 18th, 2012

Harrison "Bin" Jacobs, charged with murder for the death of  Francis Alexander Figuerroa Cardenas

Harrison "Bin" Jacobs, charged with murder for the death of Francis Alexander Figuerroa Cardenas

Inquiry into the case of Harrison Jacobs, 22-year-old San Pedro resident was held on Tuesday, February 14th at the San Pedro Magistrate’s Court. Jacobs appeared with his attorney in front of Magistrate Sharon Flowers where his case was committed to the April 19th session of the Supreme Court for hearing.

On Thursday February 17th, 2011, Jacobs aka “Bin” appeared in the Magistrate’s court in Belize City to answer to charges of murder for the death of 20 year old Francis Alexander Figuerroa Cardenas, which occurred on November 28, 2010.

In the early morning of Sunday, November 28th, three gunshots were heard in the San Juan area towards the lagoon off Jew Fish Street. Shortly after, a forth gunshot was heard.

Official reports were that:

“Sometime before 5:40AM on Sunday, November 28th, police were called to the corner of Seaweed and Sand Piper Streets in the San Juan area of San Pedro Town. There, Police observed a dark skinned person of Creole descent, leaning in a sitting position on a blue concrete fence with what appeared to be a single gunshot wound to the head. The man who was known to police as Bejon Wade was later identified as 20 year old Francis Alexander Figuerroa Cardenas. Mr. Cardenas is of a Belize City address, but was reportedly working on Ambergris Caye.”

Cardenas was allegedly beaten and tortured on an isolated road in the San Juan area after which he escaped and was running for his life when his attackers caught up with him just outside his area of residence. He was shot in the head and left to die.

When police arrived at the scene, Mr. Cardenas was still alive. He reportedly succumbed to his injuries around 7:15AM on Sunday, while undergoing treatment at the Otto Rodriguez PolyClinic II. His body was taken to the Belize City morgue where a post mortem examination declared that he died from massive brain damage caused by a gunshot wound to the head.

At the Magistrates court, Mr. Jacobs was charged for the crime of murder. Due to the nature of the crime, no plea was taken from Jacobs and bail was denied. Following his appearance at the Magistrate’s Court here in San Pedro, he was again remanded into custody at the Hattieville Prison until April 19, 2012 where he is scheduled to appear in the Supreme Court.


Please help support Local Journalism in Belize

For the first time in the history of the island's community newspaper, The San Pedro Sun is appealing to their thousands of readers to help support the paper during the COVID-19 pandemic. Since 1991 we have tirelessly provided vital local and national news. Now, more than ever, our community depends on us for trustworthy reporting, but our hard work comes with a cost. We need your support to keep delivering the news you rely on each and every day. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Please support us by making a contribution.

Click to Donate

Follow The San Pedro Sun News on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook. Stay updated via RSS

Leave a Reply

Comments are closed on this post.