Ministry of Health Cautions the Public on Seasonal Influenza
Thursday, January 9th, 2014
Belmopan. January 8, 2014.
The Ministry of Health informs the public that over the recent weeks there has been a cluster of patients with influenza. Currently there are a few patients being managed at Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital with severe respiratory infections that we suspect could be H1N1. As soon as laboratory results are made available we should be able to confirm or rule out if indeed it is this type of influenza virus. The Ministry reminds the public that we are currently in the flu season. The flu virus is circulating and every person is at risk of catching the flu. While health facilities continue to manage persons suffering from the flu, it is important to note that the flu can be prevented through the following measures:
1. Washing your hands frequently with soap and clean water
2. Coughing and sneezing into your sleeve and not your hands
3. Keeping your hands away from your face
4. Keeping common surface areas (such as door knobs, counters) clean and disinfected
5. If ill, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from spreading infection
If symptoms are persisting or become more severe, visit your nearest health facility.